|Local History of Naha Bay and Loring
||Naha Bay was once the
location of a summer camp of a Tlingit clan called Na.a'dih. (men of the
The Na.a'dih were part of
the Xetlqoan and the Naha Bay camp was used by the Na.a'dih people for
to provide food for the
winter. Following a dispute between the Tantaqoan and the
|Xetlqoan, the Xetlqoan abandoned their southern
holdings and migrated northwards to merge with the Stikinqoan. By the mid
20th century the Na.a'dih
no longer existed as a distinct clan.|
town of Loring was first settled in 1883 when Salmon Packers and Fur Co.
established a salmon
saltery in Naha Bay. The Loring Post Office was
opened in 1885. In 1888 Salmon Packers and Fur Co. sold the saltery to the
Company who built a cannery adjacent
|Loring. In the 1890's the
cannery became part of the Alaska Packer's Association, and became one of
the largest canneries in Alaska. Production continued right through the
with declining salmon returns the
cannery was closed and abandoned in 1930. The site was
|stripped with the timbers from Loring being used to
build the growing nearby town of Ketchikan and a few remote cabins in and
around Naha Bay.|
|In 1889 the Ancon paddle
steamer ran aground on rocks in Loring. One of the passengers, Albert
Bierstadt recorded the events whilst waiting for the next ship south, and
later completed his work,
"Wreck of the Ancon" which now hangs
in the Boston Museum of Fine arts.
The event was also reported in
the New York Times on September 13th 1889.
A second artist, C Eisele,
also painted the event.
The boilers of the Ancon wreck can still be
seen at low tide in Loring, Naha Bay
|After the closure of the cannery site in Naha Bay,
Loring shrunk in size and today consists of a hand full of properties.
Today's Naha Bay residents and property owners include a commercial
|carpenters,a doctor, a librarian,
small lodge and B&B owners to name a few.
Today's residents include
direct descendants of the early families who arrived in Loring in 1890 along
with new families who now call
Loring,and Naha Bay their home.